Things to do
Admiral Towers Plaza
Admiral Towers Memorial Plaza is dedicated to the memory of Admiral John Henry Towers, native Roman and “the Father of Naval Aviation.” Located adjacent to Rome City Hall and Auditorium, the life-size bronze statue and surroundings tells his amazing story.
Barron Stadium is a 6,500-seat football field and track & field stadium in Rome, Georgia. It is home to the Shorter University Hawks and Rome High School Wolves football teams. The facility hosted the NAIA Football National Championship from 2008-13 and the NCCAA Victory Bowl in 2013-14, as well as the NCCAA track championships from 2014-16.
Located at the corner of the Etowah River and the Oostanaula River and behind Moe’s Original BBQ and other downtown businesses, Bridgepoint Plaza provides an open space that is perfect for downtown life and events. Bridgepoint Plaza is also at one of the ends of the Heritage Trail system and is near a favorite spot of many locals, River Dog Outpost & Paddle Co.
The Capitoline Wolf with Romulus and Remus stands in front of historic City Hall on Broad Street in downtown Rome. The statue was an official gift from the Roman Governor, by a signed order of the Italian Dictator, Benito Mussolini and was presented when Chatillion Corporation Silk Mills of Milan, Italy relocated to Georgia’s Rome in 1929.
Chiaha Art Statue
The Chiaha Harvest Fair monument was dedicated Oct. 20, 2015 to Connie Conn, the festival's founder, commemorating the festivals' 50th Anniversary.
With a deep history, the City Clocktower has been an important feature to the Downtown Rome area since the 1800s. The 109 steps to the top of the Clocktower offers a great view of downtown Rome. A museum inside includes murals from Rome’s history and restored original clockworks.
Dancing Flower Statue
Located in the 500 block of Broad Street, the Dancing Flower is dedicated to the memory of Mickey-Dobbs, who headed the Keep Rome-Floyd Beautiful program for years. The statue was revealed in 2013.
Downtown Tennis Center
The Downtown Tennis Center is a satellite facility of the Rome Tennis Center at Berry College.
Downtown Welcome Center
The Downtown Rome Welcome Center is recognized by the state as an official Regional Visitor Information Center (RVIC). The accessibility of the center makes it an ideal location for visitors to access travel tips, travel brochures and find friendly trip-planning assistance.
Ellen Axson Wilson statue
Ellen Axson Wilson, the first wife of President Woodrow Wilson, grew up in Rome and is buried at Myrtle Hill Cemetery. The statue was placed by the Rome Area Council for the Art and is designed by Arizona artist Stephanie Hunter.
Forum River Center
The Forum River Center is a premier event venue that offers 34,300 square feet of flexible meeting space to accommodate groups of 5 to 5,000 for concerts, sports events, meetings, conferences, trade shows, banquets, weddings and receptions.
Game of Throwns
241 Broad Street
One of our most popular parks, Heritage Park is located in Historic Downtown Rome behind the levee on Second Avenue. This 8-acre park is situated at the confluence of the Etowah and Oostanaula Rivers and offers an aesthetically pleasing and passive recreation opportunity for local residents and those who are visiting Rome and Floyd County. The park has a gazebo, picnic shelters, a playground, fishing and river access, and paved trails.
Heritage Trail System
Downtown riverfront system of over 13.5 miles of trails along all three Rivers of Rome. Entrances at: State Mutual Stadium, Ridge Ferry Park, West Third Street / Barron Stadium, Town Green, Heritage Park, Riverview Park, Myrtle Hill Cemetery, Bridgepoint Plaza, and several other downtown locations.
Historic DeSoto Theatre
In 1982, The DeSoto closed as a movie theatre, but soon reopened as the venue for Rome’s local amateur theatre group. Now seating 498 patrons, the Rome Little Theatre has staged dozens of plays in the 23 years it owned the DeSoto, and the theatre is one of the venues for the annual Rome International Film Festival.
Historic Downtown Plaques
Created by the the Rome Area Heritage Foundation, Rome Area History Museum and Rome Business Improvement District, historical plaques detailing the original use and date of construction mark several properties within the central business district of Rome. These plaques provide a walk through time among the properties in Downtown.
Kingfisher Art Co.
9 East 2nd Avenue
Meditation Garden at Myrtle Hill Cemetery
The garden overlooking Myrtle Hill at the river confluence provides a place of beauty and serenity. The landscape plan echoes the allure of Rome’s seven hills and three rivers.
Mitchell Plaza is located at 3rd Ave between Broad Street and the Town Green. Mitchell Plaza is named after Martin H. “Buddy” Mitchell who served on the Rome City Commission 17 years, with eight of that being its Chairman. Buddy loved his City, family, and friends. Buddy passed away on February 11, 1997. This park is dedicated in his memory.
Myrtle Hill Cemetery
One of the most beautiful cemeteries in the nation sits atop Myrtle Hill at the confluence of the Etowah, Oostanaula and Coosa rivers. Offering an unimpeded view of downtown Rome, Georgia, to the northeast, the Etowah Valley to the east, and the Appalachian foothills to the south, the cemetery boasts spectacular vistas and historic significance, making it one of the most unique in the world.
The alley, donated to the city by Mr. M.A. Nevin, is a city thoroughfare so that the performers, stagehands and suppliers might enter and leave the Nevin Opera House without having to pass through the box office and parquet sections. Mr. M.A. Nevin built the opera house, which opened in September of 1880.
Robert Redden Footbridge
This former Central of Georgia Railway swing bridge crosses the Oostanaula River in downtown Rome. No longer used by the railroad, it has been preserved by Rome and Floyd County and converted to a pedestrian bridge. Now called the Robert Redden Foot Bridge, it is part of an extensive network of trails in the community.
Rome Area History Center
As a vital center for local historical research, the Rome Area History Museum preserves, interprets, and exhibits collections portraying the history of Rome and the surrounding area.
Rome City Auditorium
The historic Rome City Auditorium is over 100 years old; it officially opened to the public on June 28, 1916 and was added to National Registry of Historic places in 1983. It is the largest theatre of its period still in daily use in the region and is booked for performances year-round.
Rome Firefighters Memorial Plaza
The memorial plaza honors all firefighters, past and present, in recognition of the public service these men and women provide to protect our community.
512 Broad St
Come take a picture with our beautiful ROME letters! Don't forget to tag @DowntownRomeGA
Rotary Club Memorial Wall
The Rotary Club of Rome Memorial Wall pays tribute to Floyd County’s fallen veterans. The memorial is situated along the Heritage Trail behind The Forum River Center with beautiful views of the Oostanaula River.
Sulzbacher Roman Holiday
The Sulzbacher Roman Holiday is Rome’s 40-passenger excursion boat. It is available for private events, and public excursions are also held throughout the year.
Swerve: Off the Path
An eclectic art studio offering all types of art events, parties, classes & workshops. Painting, pottery, mosaics, and FUN.
Town Green & Chief John Ross Pedestrian Bridge
Located adjacent to The Forum and the Rome Area History Museum, Rome’s newest landmark recently opened an expanded lower riverfront addition, complete with additional seating perfect for enjoying views of the lazy Oostanaula River.
Veterans Plaza at Myrtle Hill Cemetery
The centerpiece of this plaza is the tomb of America’s Known Soldier, Charles Graves, which is guarded by three 1904 water cooled automatic machine guns. More than 3,000 engraved bricks honor and memorialize military veterans and civilians for their service to this country in war or peace throughout all of American history.
Victorian Era District – Between the Rivers
Rome is home to the largest Victorian Era District in the state of Georgia. This area, which lies between the Etowah and Oostanaula rivers, is the site of Rome’s founding in 1834 and is where early business and industry served the new town.